Volunteers Needed: April 29-May 1
Striped Bass Fishing Tournaments on Chesapeake Bay
Every year, the Maryland Saltwater Sport fishing Association (MSSA) hosts two of the world’s largest striped bass fishing tournaments on the Chesapeake Bay. These two tournaments take place in May (The Championship) and November (The Fall Classic). MSSA has been hosting these tournaments for 33 years and both are recognized and sanctioned by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR). These tournaments help us in our mission to enhance recreational fisheries and provide a voice for recreational anglers.
Hosting these tournaments requires a coordinated effort from all 12 of the check-in stations throughout the Chesapeake Bay. We offer interested students an opportunity to work a check-in station throughout the tournaments and gain firsthand experience.
- Students interested in biology
- Tech savvy(iPad or tablet) and understanding of basic scale operation
- Two students per check-in station (24 total – we are requesting students from numerous colleges)
- Check-in stations are open Friday-Sunday from 12:00 noon – 4:30 PM on the following days:
- The Championship – April 29-May 1
- The Fall Classic – November 18-20
- Training and education on skills needed to work the check-in station
- Hands on experience with field work, data collection, and technology
- All expenses paid (mileage, lodging, and food)