Skip to main content

FAQ's & Answers re: Declaring a Concentration



WHEN do I have to declare my concentration?

·         ENSP students MAY declare a concentration any time after your first full semester on campus UNLESS you are a transfer student who came in with > 40 credits.  You must declare your concentration your first semester.

·         ENSP students MUST declare a concentration when you hit 40 credits completedI will be emailing students this week who have completed 40 or more credits, who MUST develop a graduation plan BEFORE they can register.  That message will include helpful messages and other items particular to your situation.

HOW do I declare my concentration?

·         You declare a concentration by developing a graduation plan and having it approved.  ONE  EXCEPTION:  If you are applying to Biodiversity and Conservation Biology, you MUST develop a graduation plan BUT you must wait until June to apply online.


HOW TO I KNOW IF I HAVE DECLARED my concentration, or just "think" I have?

·         You can see how your concentration is listed on your unofficial transcript.  It is right under your name. 

·         Your declaration of concentration is not formal until I have reviewed your plan and sent you a formal declaration letter.  Your change in concentration becomes effective the following semester.  So – you develop a plan now, I review it and write you a formal letter, and it’ll show up on your transcript next Fall.

How do I CHANGE my concentration?

·         About 5-6 ENSP students each semester decide they would like to change their area of concentration. 

·         To do this, you will need to develop a new graduation plan for your new concentration, just as you did the first time. It is university policy that students who are declaring or changing majors must have an approved graduation plan in place before the change is formalized.

HOW DO I SCHEDULE A MEETING with Dr. W. to discuss my area of concentration?

·         Please send 2-3 different days/times that work for you, so I can e-mail back to confirm one of them.  My address is:  wwhitte@umd.edu

      Please give me “blocks” of time (like, 2-4 on Thursdays; after 1 on Fridays; or before 11 on Mondays) instead of specific times (like 2:00 on Thursday, 9:00 a.m. on Monday, etc.).