National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS)
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters, Lander, Wyoming.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: January-May 2017 (start and end dates are flexible)
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: The NOLS sustainability intern will assist the environmental stewardship & sustainability director and sustainability coordinator with a variety of tasks related to sustainability initiatives at NOLS, community outreach, and public policy.
INTERN QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma. Current college students and recent graduates preferred, majoring in a related field. Familiarity with NOLS is a plus. Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to have prior experience with sustainability concepts and Microsoft Excel. On the job training will be available as needed.
PROFESSIONAL/EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: The sustainability intern will have opportunities to work with other departments and participate in educational activities, including:
- Participate in a course issue day(s).
- Develop content for the blog and social media with guidance from the NOLS marketing and creative departments.
- Coordinate a community event.
- Attend the NOLS Faculty Summit.
- Participate in a NOLS seminar, space allowing.
- College credit may be available.
- Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
TIME COMMITMENT: 20 hours/week
STIPEND: A bi-weekly (every two weeks) stipend of $125 is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Projects may include the following:
- (40%) Manage carbon data.
- (20%) Work with various NOLS campuses to research sustainability opportunities specific to that location (i.e. alternative fuels, farming, renewable energy, etc.).
- (15%) Organize an Earth Day outreach event.
- (10%) Create engaging outreach material for NOLS sustainability.
- (10%) Participate in broader NOLS activities.
- (5%) Perform administrative tasks as needed.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to:
NOLS Sustainability Coordinator - Kara Colovich
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 4, 2016