American Farmland Trust
Do you want to be part of a team that works to shape the federal policy impacting the environmental and economic sustainability of the farms that grow our food? Then American Farmland Trust's Government Relations Team wants you! Working directly with the Government Affairs Specialist and Senior Policy Specialist, you will support American Farmland Trust's (AFT's) political advocacy and research as we work towards a Farm Bill that protects farmland, promotes sound farming practices, and keeps farmers on the land.
Since its founding in 1980, AFT has played a significant role as a bridge-builder and convener in Farm Bill debates. In this internship, you will learn about the legislative process and Farm Bill conservation programs, interact with other stakeholders, and help us affect change in an immensely important piece of legislation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitoring the news for Farm Bill related updates from Congress or peer organizations
- Tracking activities within the federal government and federal agencies that affect AFT's work
- Contributing to policy analyses, research, and discussions of strategy
- Drafting monthly updates, blog posts, and written outreach materials
- Coordinating stakeholder meetings, Congressional office visits, and other events as needed
- Scheduling is flexible between 20 and 35 hours per week. Must be available to work from our Washington, DC office.
- College student or recent graduate
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Organized and comfortable juggling multiple tasks with enthusiasm
- Interest in AFT's mission and openness to representing moderate, centrist policy positions
- Some academic or institutional research experience
- Knowledge of Farm Bill programs, legislative process, and/or agricultural production preferred
- This is a paid position. We are willing to work with your institution to offer college credit in addition to monetary compensation.