Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife
WORK LOCATION: Smyrna, Delaware
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD April 2017 – December 2017 (37.5 hours/week)
POSITION AVAILABLE: Research Assistant for Bat Projects
Two positions available. Primary responsibilities will include recruiting and managing volunteers for bat projects, ordering, maintaining and decontaminating gear, assisting with live catches of bats, conducting acoustic surveys and analyzing the calls, preparing outreach materials, resolving bat/human conflicts and managing data. These positions will also include educating visitors to Fort Delaware on the importance of bats, the effect of White-nose Syndrome on bats and what people can do to help protect bats. Position will include escorting people through parts of the fort where bats hibernate and making sure that park visitors are aware of rules and guidelines and ways they can help protect bats.
Duties will also include GIS, database management and report writing. May also be required to assist with game species assignments, Delmarva fox squirrel landowner outreach, camera surveys and amphibian and reptile projects.
Must be able and willing to work night time and weekend hours in difficult field conditions (biting insects, hot and cold conditions, long hours). Weekend and holiday work will be required on a regular basis. Must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
SALARY: $10.00 per hour
1) Some college work in wildlife biology/management or closely related field required.
2) Prior field experience preferred (especially with bats).
3) Prior acoustic monitoring and call evaluation preferred.
4) GIS experience preferred.
5) Rabies vaccination preferred.
6) Must have good interpersonal and communication skills.
7) Experience using word processing, spreadsheet and GIS applications.
8) Ability to work independently; organized and efficient work habits; good time management skills.
9) Valid driver’s license.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & DEADLINE
Apply by sending resume/CV along with a cover letter describing your qualifications and contact information for three references to Holly Niederriter at email@example.com. Application deadline is April 1, 2017 but positions may be filled sooner if candidates are found sooner.
Holly Niederriter, Delaware Division of Fish and Wildlife