Tree Inventory Technicians
Location: 1-3 positions in Maryland with the possibility of other projects across the country.
Description: Plan-It Geo provides professional geospatial consulting services and cutting-edge web/mobile software solutions for urban forestry, green infrastructure planning, natural resource analysis, forest management, and related areas. We are seeking candidates with diverse interests and experience/education in urban forestry, arboriculture, GIS, and technology. Candidates should be motivated, versatile, work well in the private industry under deadlines, be able to travel, and have excellent tree identification skills. Incentives for performance may be given.
Primary responsibilities of the position:
- Collect individual tree x/y locations via mobile tools from aerial imagery while in the field.
- Assess each tree for a wide variety of fields/attributes (e.g. Common Name, Latin Name, DBH,
- Condition, Height, Crown Spread, Insect Issues, Diseases, Defects, Size of Defect, Probability of Failure, Target Frequency, Other Risk Fields, Site Type, Address, etc.).
- Provide clients with training in GIS-based tree inventory software and related data management tools in a variety of formats (Shapefile, Excel, Access, etc.).
- Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Pursuit of, or obtained BS/BA degree in forestry, natural resources, horticulture or related field.
- Ability to ID a variety of tree species by common and botanical name (leaf-on and off seasons).
- Ability to ID or quickly learn a variety of defects (biotic and abiotic) for different species of trees.
- Familiarity of plant growth habits and landscape use of common urban tree species.
- Experience in GIS desktop software (ESRI or Open Source; from coursework or other).
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time while using a tablet device safely.
- Flexibility in work hours to meet a quota of trees inventoried per day.
- Ability to travel 2-4 weeks at a time, stay in hotels as needed, and have a valid driver’s license.
- ISA Arborist Certification, or pursuit of this quickly (test could be paid by Plan-It Geo).
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to establish/maintain effective working relationships with staff, clients, and other industry professionals.
Plan-It Geo has been contracted for a countywide street tree inventory in Prince George’s
County, Maryland as well as other locations across the country. We are hiring full-time
positions based in Maryland for the 8-month project. Permanent or a contractor (1099) position is available, and a higher hourly rate may be paid for living nearby including a small relocation fee for candidates who are moving a long distance. It is possible that contract work could lead to a permanent position. Candidates/students who are only available during the summer may be considered as needed. Staff will follow strict safety protocols at all times. Plan-It Geo is seeking to evalute seasonal, part-time, or full-time candidates as soon as possible.
If interested and qualified, please email a one-page resume and cover letter to:
TJ Wood – ISA Certified Arborist (RM-7676A)
Landscape Designer | Inventory Manager
5690 Webster Street, Arvada, CO 80002 | firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
www.planitgeo.com | www.TreePlotter.com