Clemson University’s Youth Learning Institute - a division that focuses primarily on summer camp programming throughout the state of South Carolina - is currently recruiting students for their summer camp counselors positions.
Camp Wildlife takes place at Camp Bob Cooper and is located in Summerton, South Carolina on Lake Marion. Staff reports to camp in mid-May and work until early August. Counselors will be working with youth ranging in age from 8-14.
Camp Wildlife program activities include:
- BB Gun, rifle & basic archery instruction
- Sporting Clays
- Wildlife ecology, outdoor survival skills
- ATV operation & safety
- Swimming, canoeing, climbing wall and group games
Official Job Description
Title: Wildlife Ecology and Shooting Sports Instructor/Counselor
Work Dates: May – August 2017Location: Camp Bob Cooper, Summerton, South Carolina
The camp is located on YLI’s Camp Bob Cooper directly on Lake Marion (South Carolina’s largest lake). A majority of the camp week will focus on hunting and fishing techniques, wildlife ecology, ATV riding, outdoor survival skills, shotgun training, rifle training, and archery training. Instructors will be trained and certified in these areas. In addition to these activities we will also utilize other components such as swimming, team courses, night hikes and sporting clays. Our Advanced camp offers enhanced hunting skills and game calling at Back Woods Quail Club. You can take a look at our camp by going to our website at http://wildlifesummer.camp/
- Teach components of the Wildlife Ecology and Shooting Sports curriculum (training provided).
- Lead students in daily program classes and activities (wake-up, meals, canteen, campfire, and wrap-up).
- Be actively involved in all program activities, leading and participating in evening recreational and instructional times as scheduled.
- Perform direct supervision of children while involved in classes and activities.
- Perform camp counselor duties including staying and attending to campers over night while they are at camp.
- BA or BS in Biology, Wildlife and Fisheries, Natural Resources, or related field is preferred –juniors, seniors, and graduates should apply.
- Experience with hunting and shooting sports preferred but not necessary (we will train those without experience).
- Residential camp experience preferred.
- Must have the patience, understanding, flexibility, and energy to work and live with campers and staff.
- Must be willing to sacrifice, adapt, and work hard as part of a team.
Salary: $440 - $580 twice a month plus lodging, meals during camp and a sickness/accidental insurance plan.
Contact: If you are interested in the position please send your resume and three professional references to Candice Heatherly at email@example.com
Clemson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information.