PAID -- Full-time -- Outreach assistant / intern -- Agroecology -- Food & Environment Program
Do you want to make food more sustainable? The Union of Concerned Scientists seeks a nine-month Outreach Intern to support our campaign to bring more funding to sustainable agriculture. In this paid internship, you will organize and engage scientists, experts, and supporters through online and offline activities, coordinate outreach events, and assist with research and writing for UCS materials. Come join our team to build support for agroecology!
The Position -- The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet's most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
This is a nine-month, full-time, paid internship from January – September 2017 providing outreach, logistical, and research assistance to support UCS's effort to increase public funding and attention for sustainable agriculture research. You will assist UCS's Senior Outreach Coordinator with outreach to agricultural scientists and other experts, coordinate travel and event logistics, help conduct research on agroecological methods and systems, and assist with special projects as requested.
- Assist in recruiting new expert supporters, and engaging regularly with supporters and allies.
- Prioritize recruiting and engaging a diversity of scientists, economists, and other experts, including those from historically black colleges and universities.
- Keep abreast of developments in agroecology, identifying innovative research and helping to highlight this work on our blog.
- Provide logistical and outreach support for events and activities at several key conferences throughout the year.
- Assist with quarterly updates and alerts to the UCS Science Network.
- Conduct research and assist in writing for UCS materials and publications.
- Write for UCS publications as directed.
Qualifications and experience
- Position requires careful attention to detail, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to juggle multiple tasks and projects, familiarity with office operations, and intermediate level skills in basic office software including word processing spreadsheets, and database use/maintenance.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; excellent administrative, research, and organizational skills; ability to work independently and as part of a group are also required.
- Completed Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience with organizing around issue campaigns and engaging diverse public audiences strongly preferred.
- Background in ecology, biology, or other relevant science and an interest in research a plus. Familiarity with food and agriculture issues helpful, but is not required.
- Competence with online engagement tools, spreadsheets, databases, and research tools preferred.
May spend extended periods at computer terminal. Very occasionally move heavy boxes. Occasional travel may be required (1-5 total nights over the course of the internship).
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, nine month internship based in UCS's Washington, DC office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is the equivalent of $15 per hour, $31,200 annually. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, how you learned about the position via email to email@example.com and include "Agroecology" in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please.
Deadline: November 21, 2016 or until filled.