PAID -- Full-time -- Outreach Intern -- 6 month position -- Climate & Energy Program
Union of Concerned Scientists
Do you want to stop fossil fuel companies from spreading false information about climate change? Join our team to challenge the leaders of major fossil fuel companies like ExxonMobil and Chevron and hold them accountable.
The Position -- The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit whose scientists and engineers work to solve some of our planet's most pressing environmental and safety problems. UCS combines technical analysis and effective organizing and advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for stemming the tide of global warming, sustainable food policy and agriculture, energy and transportation, fighting misinformation and reducing the threat of catastrophic nuclear war.
The Outreach Internship is a six-month, full-time position supporting our corporate and national campaigns to reduce major fossil fuel companies' influence in blocking climate action. You'll work with outreach, legislative, analytical and other staff in the cross programmatic climate accountability team.
- Communicate with UCS supporters and scientists to recruit them for events and actions;
- Implement strategies to attract new constituencies to our climate accountability campaign, including with frontline communities and climate justice partners;
- Work with outreach staff to write, fact-check, and develop advocacy emails;
- Assist with planning for UCS presence at conferences, including logistical and outreach support;
- Assist UCS outreach staff with administrative needs including participation in planning and strategy, lobby and coalition meetings;
- Monitor daily print media and blogs for climate accountability issues and rapid response opportunities;
- Prepare background information about members of Congress, state attorneys general, agency staff, and other policymakers to inform campaign opportunities;
- Assist with research for reports of fossil fuel industry actions or practices.
- Make appointments for Hill, agency and other meetings with key coalition partners;
- Assist with report research and production; and
- Assist with event planning logistics and recruitment
Qualifications and experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills; excellent administrative, research, and organizational skills; ability to work independently and as part of a group are required.
- Interest in and basic knowledge of climate and energy issues, public interest advocacy campaigns, and corporate campaigns is preferred.
- Completed Bachelor's degree preferred.
- May spend extended periods at computer terminal. Little to no travel is required.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we're dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We're also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We've adopted this commitment because we believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities. We are actively seeking people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in this work.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, 6-month position based in UCS's Washington, DC office. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary is equivalent to $15 per hour, or $31,200 annually. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, how you learned about the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "Outreach Intern" in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please.
Deadline: December 5, or until filled.